Tuesday, October 11, 2011
Monday's post that I was too lazy to do Monday...
A very good Monday indeed! Kramer was still gimpy Monday morning, but it really seemed like it was in his feet so I called his horseshoer, Mitch and asked him for his opinion; haul to the vet or let Mitch look at him. Mitch said he was in the area of the vet and would be happy to meet us there to see what's up and give his opinion, etc. It's not often that you can get your vet AND farrier together at the same time to check out your horse so I took advantage of that situation. It was such a good visit in that it was obvious that Kramer's soreness was in his hooves so then they did xrays to check for coffin bone problems and/or navicular. Thank goodness, Kramer was fine there, but what the xrays DID show (and this is where it was wonderful to have Mitch looking at the xrays too)was that Mitch was leaving too much toe on Kramer creating an even more uncomfortable foot on the horse. Now mind you, every horse is different and some horses travel better with more toe but not Kramer. So right then and there Mitch pulled Kramer's old shoes, trimmed him taking more toe off this time and put new (no wedge) shoes on. He traveled better immediately, not quite as sore. I've just got to keep putting turpentine and/or kopertox on the soles of his hooves to toughen them up. I can do that! The vet gave us the "ok" to go to Kyle's (the trainer)tomorrow, yea!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment