Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Best Day Ever!

Got an early start to the day this morning and was heading out to the barn around 7:20.  I hooked the truck to the trailer and then got Kramer out of the round pen and in to the barn so I could groom him, treat his feet, give him a couple of grams of bute, wrap his legs and load him (with Leonardo's help as usual).  Off we went at 8:25 for Kyle's.  Arrived there just before our appt time of 9:30.  I introduced myself to Kyle, found out where we wre ging to ride, tacked up Kramer and our session began.  I lunged him for about 15-20 mins and he looked like that was enough....until I was riding.  He was fine at the trot, but when Kyle asked me to canter him, welllll, he tried to crow hop.  Kyle said: "That's what I thought", he needs more lungeing.  This time she lunged him and the little brat cantered for another 15 minutes. This time he was through!  I rode him following her instructions on keeping him straight, not letting him "cave in" on the inside of our circles and making him go when he wanted to plant his feet and stop.  His canter was great and so comfortable!  I rode him after Kyle rode him as she used some training techniques to get Kramer to use his hindquarters instead of dragging around on his front end.   I benefited from her efforts as he was a much better horse to ride after she was through.  Kyle believes that Kramer is talented enough to take us to the World show but he'd have to be in a program to do that.  I think we'll take it slow and not set World Show goals at this point.  I plan to continue riding with Kyle and having her ride him at some shows (if she will)and see what we've got and how far I want to go with Kramer.  All the way, or just some of the way?

No comments:

Post a Comment