Thursday, October 27, 2011

"Hurry, before it rains!"

It's been a long time since I've had to say those words!  But that's exactly what happened towards the end of my riding session with Kramer.  I free lunged him first in the round pen then took him to the outdoor arena and lunged him there before getting on him.  I was glad that I made the decision to ride outside since Paul had to move his hay loaded flatbed in and out of the barn close to the end of the covered arena; just a bit distracting...
Anyway, we started out riding in sunshine and it was quite pleasant out.  Kramer was doing very well with everything but tkaing his left lead...AGAIN!   Well eventually, Donna & Paul came out as Donna was riding her 4yr old (Manhattan)and wanted Paul's opinion about him not taking HIS left lead....how weird is that?  These two do so many things alike!  Anyway, I asked Paul (before I knew that Donna needed help with Manhattan)to watch as I cued for the left lead.  I was freeing up his shoulder, sidepassing to the left & Kramer still took his right lead.  Paul asked me what I was doing with my right leg.  I told him I was pushing his shoulder over.  He said maybe I needed to move his hindquarters over more than his shoulder as it looked like his rump was swinging out.  Oh.....!!  Exactly!  Fixed that and he took his left lead when asked.  Holy crap!  Why didn't I feel that?  After a bit we worked on transitions which went well and then I looked at the distant skyline to our west...very dark...   I suggested that we all leave the outdoor arena and head for the main barn before the rain hits.  Donna was all for that as she wanted to end on a positive note with her horse as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment