When I drove up to Wildwood to work Kramer, I didn't know that the truck parked by the barn was Kramer's vet, Nelson until I walked in to the stable. He was treating a few other horses, but I thought I'd take advantage of his being there to let him watch Kramer being longed. He did indeed, pay attention and we talked once I was through. He saw Kramer's latest "trick" on trying to get his way which is to try to stand on his hindlegs instead of moving forward when I ask for the trot. This is the 3rd time in the same number of rides that he's tried this. I reprimand him by a firm voice & pulling his head down & around while kicking him (more as an urge to go forward, not as punishment) to go move his feet. This seems to work and once we get past this, he works well. His canter is very nice & easy to ride. I hold on to these nice moments.
After riding, I talked to Nelson briefly who commented that Kramer is not in any pain anymore and the bucking & running on the longe line are from playfulness. He also said that he's a stubborn pig when it comes to his behavior with me on his back. He told me to be sure and keep the upper hand with him & always let him know that I'm the boss.
After a telephone conversation with Allie, we both agreed that all the horse's we've owned in the past were not so much pets, but defintely our friend and partners at shows.
I feel that Kramer doesn't really want a human relationship as much as he does with other horses; which is fine, but I need to change my attitude to more trainer than
buddy. I will have to be the trainer & not the treat giver. No more treats. Was it a reaffirmation of my decision when SmartPak called to say that the "Mrs.Pastures" cookies that I ordered before Christmas was out of stock and couldn't be re-ordered? I'm thinking so!
No comments:
Post a Comment