After getting Kramer's diagnosis (see Dec. 6th post), needless to say I've been disappointed that he still is moving very short-strided behind & acts like he wants to buck when I first get on him. I felt that I shouldn't be on his back if I was creating enough pain for him to "act out" & that he hadn't improved since that diagnosis. Sooooo, on Friday, Dec.23rd the vet came out to the stable to see Kramer in action. I was so glad that Allie & Frank went with me to listen to everything the vet had to say while I was longing the horse. Kramer started out his stiff rear-end self on the longe line & the vet told me to make him work on the line & really move out. The more Kramer did this, the better he started to move. After aobut 10 mins of longing, he asked me to get on him (great, I thought...I get to get bucked off in front of a whole crowd today!) Well, Kramer did have a small reaction when I first got on him, but not too bad. Nelson(the vet)asked me to start trotting him. I did and he felt better than he has in weeks. After 20 mins (yes, 20 mins, no stopping)Kramer was moving well enough to be in a HUS class!
This picture was actually taken by Allie the next day, but it shows how he was striding out after a good warm up both days. Nelson analysis is this: Yes, Kramer has a sore back due to his long, thoroughbred muscles. When asked to work while his back is sore, he takes the "weenie" way out by not wanting to work.
Nelson suggested that Kramer be given sellenium & vit E shots that encourages muscle build up that will make it easier for Kramer to use his hindquarters easier as they will be stronger...or something like that!
The new program for Kramer is lots of longing to where he is very warmed up (I'm used to Mickey who at most required 10 mins longing before riding)before I begin riding him. Then making sure Kramer is using himself behind, driving forward by powering off those hind legs; no western pleasure jogs for a while. This will work those muscles & help build them up so that in the long run it will be easier on the horse.
A high point of Nelson's visit out to the barn occurred when he had finished with Kramer and was doing a lameness check on Tyrone while I was still riding. Nelson's asst. took Tyrone and began walking him up the driveway next to the arena where I was riding. For whatever reason Kramer decided that he needed to shy at another horse because that horse was on the driveway(???). Kramer began crow hopping while leaping forward and skittering sideways at the same time. I realized he wasn't going to stop & finally pulled his head up & around. Apparantly, the ordeal looked ompressive as the vet, and several others ran towards the arena(I'm assuming to pick me up out of the arena sand), but thankfully, I was able to ride it (IN AN ENGLISH SADDLE, NO LESS!). I made Kramer finish our work out until we both regained normal heart rates and finally finished up. I must say, I felt very proud that I was able to ride out one of my biggest "what if?" fears. I think Frank was impressed as he's calling me his little cowgirl now, lol!
No pictures of that day, but these pictures of the next day show a better, more productive day-just not as exciting...thankfully!
The last pic is of my sweet, knowledgable, common-sense "trainer" daughter Allie. So glad she drove in for Christmas/New Year's and SO GLAD she was there during my horse adventure!
No comments:
Post a Comment