Got out to the barn about 20 mins before Mitch & he put the testers to Kramers foot. The testing indicated that he was touchy around the middle nail, not the last nail as we thought. So, Mitch pulled it out & I immediately poured tincture of iodine(thanks, meth-heads; we can no longer buy iodine or methiolate because of your disgusting life choice)into the empty hole. I then went ahead and lunged Kramer while Mitch was still there. He saw what I did; that Kramer would take an ouch step every 7-8 strides. By the end of 20 mins, I tacked him up & rode for another 20 mins. He seemed pretty sore on the foot the first 5 mins and then got much better. I even cantered a bit.
Kramer after our ride:
I took him to the crossties and re-cleaned the nail hole:
Got my trusty Drawing salve:
Which specifically states is for nails of horses and dogs (LOL). Do they mean "hooves" of horses??
Anyway, then I did the turpentine treatment on the soles of his hooves and finally, a bit of conditioner on the coronary band and hoof. Then poor, little Kramer got to eat grass for 20 mins before being put up with a snack, alfalfa & hay. Oh, this is Kramer taking a carrot I offered him:
His pretty feet once I was thru; just wish he ( & I ) didn't have to deal with the soreness on the right hoof!
Oh! I read the whole thing on the slave label & it DOES say hooves and nails of horses and dogs....funny way to state that...
ReplyDelete