Monday, April 2, 2012

...continuing with Monday.....

Started out as a pretty, sunny morning but by the time I left the house for Wildwood, the skies had gotten overcast.  But the clouds broke apart when I reached the stables to the point that I left the truck windows cracked.  I changed into riding apparel & gathered Kramer from his paddock.  I let him munch on some grass for several minutes and then took him in the barn to begin our session.  He was nice & clean (yea!) so I was able to get to the lungeing pretty quickly.  I lunged at both ends and was finished after 20 mins.
Because he has a hard time understanding (or is obstinate) the concept of carrying his head level (or lower-not my intention)by popping his head up whenever & for whatever reason(especially if he sees something he MUST stare at), Allie came up with a plan to help him to understand.  After he's warmed up by lungeing, I'll then put his headstall with snaffle bit on and attach the draw reins. work him in that until he's consistent with his head carriage and then ride the rest of our session in his regular bit.
Kramer after our ride:
Kramer bowing before me....or getting ready to rub his face:


He did very well in both apparatuses and was pretty giving to both.  No resentment or angst at all.  I rode for about 20 mins with the drawreins and 10 or so in the other bit.
That's not a white spot on his side, it must be a piece of dust the camera caught.
While Kramer was standing there and I was getting his treat ready, serious storm clouds moved in and with them plenty of thunder & lightening.  All of a sudden the winds picked up; Kramer whinnied (out of fear, I think) and at that moment the winds blew so hard that it blew chairs over, saddle pads off the rails, bottles and buckets went rolling:

One of those green chairs actually rolled to where Kramer was tied.  He did his imitation of a cutting horse but a cutting horse soon "to be outta there"!  I soothed him & picked up the chair & carried it back along with the saddle pad that blew close to him & the plastic bottle.  You can see the dirt blown over the chairs & mounting block.  I had ths same amount of dirt on my face & in my hair as my hat blew off!
Kramer was fine once I put him in his stall as he was confident that the chair monsters couldn't get in there.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed this post! Hoping you continue to have success with the various training methods!

    ReplyDelete