I was greeted with puppy licks & kisses from Stella...
...and several nickers from Kramer
That was the best part of my visit. It was a little "bumpy" after that. Once I got close to Kramer, I saw that he pulled the left front shoe(the right front was put back on over a week ago). Soooo, he pulled a shoe before I left (so I couldn't ride)and he pulled a shoe upon my return (so I couldn't ride). Turns out, he pulled it Saturday before last.
Mitch will be out tomorrow to reshoe him all around.
Kramer was in a testy mood. He acted a bit disrespectful and resentful as well as grateful of my presence. I knew he needing lungeing since he's had nothing done with him in two weeks. I did our usual routine with brushing, wrapping legs. There were quite a few distractions with four dogs (Herman, the farrier's dog was there), the new screens were up (which I love, by the way):
When I took K out to begin his lunge, that's when Paul decided to start up his new "motorcycle". It sounds like a motorcycle but it's the size of a scooter. However, it's a sound that apparantly Kramer hasn't heard before. So the scenario is: new screens which are tolerable, horses and people at washrack, etc., very tolerable, farrier banging on anvil, tolerable. Motorcycle noise barely tolerable; now seeing the motorcycle carrying a person away on the driveway, intolerable. Four high-pitched barking dogs streaking past from all directions towards the man-eating motor"thing": "I'm outta here!" Kramer became a jumping, bucking "airs above the ground galloping crazy horse. All I could do was hang on and keep him from running into chairs and/or jumps. I couldn't get him to slow down for a few minutes. Poor guy, when he finally stopped, you'd swear he just came off the track. Sweating and blowing very hard, nostrils distended, white rings in the eyes... I think in his mind he was running for his life and he couldn't relax. So I hand walked him at the other end of the arena to cool and calm him. I put him in the wash rack to give him a lukewarm rinse-off:
He's still breathing harder than normal and I haven't yet rinsed him off, that's sweat covering his body( almost totally covered!). At least at this point he had calmed down. He felt much better after his bath.
I gave him some alfalfa and snacks and then put him back outside in his shady turn-out with some hay & alfalfa.
He was back to his normal self by this time. Looking forward to Thursday, when if all goes well and no nerves are nicked or soles are bruised I can ride again!
No comments:
Post a Comment