Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Back in the saddle again

I did ride a couple of days before I left for some R & R in Hot Springs visiting my Mom & Dad.
Kramer wasn't a co-op boy & needed some extra time lungeing and riding.  I was not thrilled with his attitude so it was best that we took a break from each other.
This morning, after not being ridden for over a week, he pulled his usual "I'm not going forward.  I'll circle, back & hop up in front, but I WILL NOT GO FORWARD!" This made Martha angry & she grabbed his reins and walked him forward-which he did, until she released him.  I said "That's ok, Martha."  All I needed to do was to "apply" the end of my long reins to his rear end and off he went, never trying the stunt for the rest of the ride.  After mostly trotting for our session and then making him walk at a good pace then practicing backs and forehand turns, we did transitions in the center on a straight line up the arena.  We did stop, canter, stop.  trot, canter, walk.  canter, trot, walk.   trot canter, walk.  Kramer was actually very good as long as I kept my leg on him and made him keep his frame.  A pretty good ride for the first time back in the saddle for a week.


Martha started to walk by Kramer and then did a double take.  She couldn't get over how pretty his coat looked!  It didn't start out that way, he was pretty dirty before I rode him and then he was sweaty on top of dirty after our ride.  Needless to say, he got a much needed bath!

Playing with special effects on my camera.....

1 comment:

  1. I want to add that K-face was extra shy-y everywhere: before & after our ride. More so before for obvious reasons, things aren't as scary when he's tired. But why shy at the sunlight on the cross-tie mat, or your own leadrope or the bath mitt lying on the ground???

    ReplyDelete