Thursday, August 2, 2012

Calm but assertive( and persistence)s pay off

After lungeing Kramer this morning, I got on and he moved out pretty willingly, but once the little kids parked by Donna sitting in her chair, he decided he wanted to "park" to and so he did.  I was angry, I'll admit it, but I didn't let that dictate how I handled K's stubborness.  I circled him and bent him and pulled his head around anytime he "thought" about popping up in front & once we were in position (so as not to run over the lesson kids, dogs or Donna), I backed him up.  When he tired of backing and just planted it, I'd try moving forward. No go.  I'd circle him but he'd refuse to move-that's when we backed again.  We did a lot of backing, circling, stopping (his idea)backing again. I'd ask for him to go forward by giving him enough rein (prob too much sometimes)so he wouldn't think I was asking for collection but he still refused to move forward.  So, we'd back and circle.  At one point when I had his head pulled around as I applied a bit of stronger pressure from my equitation spur (1 1/2") he moved forward.  Once he started moving, I used my lower leg & seat to move him faster (at the walk).  We walked, doing circles and bends with forward impulsion all around basically having to stay out of the way of the two beginner jumpers. K didn't want to trot when I asked, so I stopped him & began the backing exercise again.  It only took a couple of times doing this before he decided to move out when asked.  Didn't have that happen again (the stopping/unwillingness)for the rest of the ride which composed of trotting all over the place-posting & sitting trots-transitions including stops and backs.  Worked on the diagonal movement at the walk which he did pretty well.  Cantered back & forth on diff. leads down the middle.  Worked on forehand turns.


Can you tell where he rubbed his face?
You can see where my leg position was in this picture.  It looks like my calf was really on him:
You can really see where my boot was rubbing and creating pretty, gray sweat on him, lol!
He only "thinks" he's finished.  I went into the tack room for the rope halter & we did showmanship.  I use the term loosely.  He constantly tried to grab the dangly end of the rope which I grabbed and held in my hand. He was very mouthy & unfocused.  Once, he wasn't walking with me(& yes, I had my hand/shoulder forward)& I smacked him with the soft rope that's attached to the halter.  He struck out with his off foreleg.  I turned on him & let him know that that would not be tolerated.  He was pouty but cooperative after that.  I finished with an "Atta boy" at the end of the session and put him in the crossties just in time for Mitch's arrival:

A nice trim & new shoes.  His feet look really good.
Afterwards, K got his snack & some grazy time before I put him back in his run.  There was a great breeze, Leonardo just cleaned his trough so there was clean, cool water in it and a bit of leftover hay under the tree.  He has such a rough life......





No comments:

Post a Comment