Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Athens, TX Horseshow July 10-14, 2012

This was a real learning experience for Kramer and I.  Being surrounded by friends, trainers and the like, I got a lot of input/help regarding "how to prepare & show" my horse.  My realization was that I was on the right track all along, just not enough being demanded from Kramer.  He needs more calm-assertive riding from me which requires a lot more leg (calf/ankle)support during the entire ride.  So....more leg, less hands! Kramer's topline needs to be consistently level/or lower so that he is focused on his job not on what's going on outside the arena & thereby giving him the excuse to shy/buck/break gait.  I showed him Sel HUS Tuesday and he crow hopped enough to unseat me in the class, regained control and finished the class.  Wednesday, with Sheri's help before & during the class, we had a better ride.  I rode him in Green HUS first and we had an "ok" go but in the Sel HUS, he still kicked out (at the same place in the show pen)during the class.  Sheri said she was proud of my ride in how I handled the situation and I did all I could.  She then took him from me to ride him more in the warm up pen and not "reward" him by putting him in his stall right away.  She showed me how to use that lower leg first then my hands to lower his topline.  Then I got on him & put my info to work.  It IS work, my lower legs are not that strong and it's going to require a lot of work on my part to get them stronger. The following pictures are of Sheri working with Kramer in the warmup pen & the showpen during the english warmup before the classes started.



During this warmup, Kramer pulled one of his stubborn moments when he wanted to "pop-up", she moved him out and that's when Jay Jordan said that the horse "Has her number" (referring to me)and that he needs to be "over & undered" by a more forceful rider.  Sheri understood what I've been dealing with and said that I had my hands full and could probably benefit from sending K to a trainer for a while to learn dicipline.  However, by Friday (when Sheri left that afternoon), we both felt that K wouldn't benefit from the "over & under" theory as he's smart & sensitive enouh to be very scared & resentful of that kind of dicipline.  She also felt that the most K would need with a trainer would be a month.  She, Frank & I all agree that it's I who needs to work a lot with this horse to get him to understand his job and to respect me as the "dominate mare".
Just more K pics:


There was a wine tasting party Thursday night featuring the wines of a local Athens winery called "Tara" and a local band which was very good "Runaway Horses" ( I think).:
Sheri & me
Kathy & me
Sheri & Ricky Spinks

It was a welcome break from the rigors of the horseshow!

Out of all the years Allie & I have been coming to Athens this was the first time it was completely full/sold out!
This is me Saturday night after a long day on Kramer.  I know what I have to do to get this guy going towards a successful show career.
One tired, but happy puppy! 






1 comment:

  1. I know, I know... my blog is lifeless.... I'll get back to it soon. It's a matter of finding a rhythm and getting it going again. When I was in SCI- it was sort of an escape for me... nothing really to escape from here!!! :))))

    ReplyDelete