Of course, today I would get out to Wildwood for a Kramer visit later than normal as the morning temps were quite pleasant. Upon pulling in the driveway next to Kramer's turnout, I noticed he looked very sweaty. "Why would he be so hot when the temps are in the low 80's and he's in the shade?"
I parked and walked over to gather him up:
The closer I got, I could see how dripping wet with sweat he was. What made him run so much that he'd be soaking wet with sweat?
I let him graze a bit as an old calvary officer once told me that letting a hot horse munch on grass actually helped cool them down. Kramer needed cooling down as his skin was hot to the touch!
Eventually, I led him into the barn and saw Leonardo who told me that the people that lived in the house across from Kramer's paddock were setting off firecrackers. He said that "Trumpa" as he calls him, ran hard for 20 mins. Leonardo tried to catch him but almost got kicked. He told me that he kept saying "whoa, Trumpa whoa" but "Trumpa" wouldn't whoa! That's when Donna & Paul went to the people and asked them to please stop-which they did. I pulled in right after all the drama had ended.
I decided to tack up Kramer so I could walk him to cool him down a bit before our ride. Strange...to have to cool down a horse before the ride when usually we have to warm them up......
This is K before our ride:
Literally dripping wet; you can see the drips all over the mat. Poor guy!
I asked for a very easy ride as his little mind was still on high alert.
This was K after our ride:
Much cooler & more like his old self by this time. After I took off the saddle, he got a rinse off and had the fan blowing his way while I did some braiding practice:
This is the way I've done them in the past & I know it's a longer braid, but it lies flat. I haven't tied it off yet because I wanted to do it the other way:
Here I've pulled the end of the braid up thru the top of the braid and then over & under:
It's small and neat, but sticks out from the neck more. Hmmmm.......
After all was said and done, Kramer got put back in his stall where it's safe from firecrackers with an extra helping of alfalfa to calm that ol' gut of his!
All is right with his world now.
No comments:
Post a Comment