Friday, June 15, 2012

Ugh, it's so humid!

This is the time of year when the temps rise and so does the humidity that we have to factor in the heat index while riding our horses.  However, I still maintain that I prefer heat over the cold.  At least you can take measures to cool down while/after riding that doesn't involve bulky fleece & quilted jackets!
I digress....
Had a good ride on K today.  I rode in the english saddle after a 15 min warm-up lunge.  Today after trotting a while, I decided to try the" close my fingers on the inside rein & close my outside leg on Kramer" method.  It didn't work the first time.  BUT, I believe I was sitting forward while looking down at the horse's shoulders.  Plus, I may have been pushing a bit with my inside leg because I can't remember what I was doing with it so I have to assume I was doing too much.
I tried again, but this time he had his head up and too much impulsion.  REGROUP/THINK/TAKE YOUR TIME!!!
Ok, riding down the straight-away, nice sitting trot, close inside finger, push with right leg...LEFT LEAD!  Did this a few times and he seemed much more cooperative in taking the lead.  This will require a lot of practice, mostly from me!
He was going nicely; just rode in the snaffle & martingale.  Much better headset most of the ride.  He was challenged as there were a lot of different things going on today.  We had to "circle up" a few times to refocus him on me, the rider.
During & after his bath:




The next pictures are of Kramer's sweaty rider.  I was trying to take pics of us together, but he kept trying to lick my face!

My "project" cracks me up sometimes!


1 comment: