Thursday, February 2, 2012

Kramer's other attribute

Besides my little reining horse that I had several years back, Kramer is the only horse I've owned that actually has a big, full tail.  Since reining horses never need to wear fake tails to enhance their show ring appearance, I don't count my reiners abundant tail.

That little grey spot on his tail right above his hock?  It's where a chunk of mud was when I brought him in from his paddock.  Apparently, even with brushing, it left a stain! 
Kramer basically tolerated me today as you can see by his expression; he didn't want to play. That was until I lunged him.  At first he pretended to be tired & could barely go faster than a slow jog...until the diesel truck drove past the arena.  Kramer then resembled some of his forefathers(or mothers)of thoroughbred decent.  He ran so hard & fast he was practically on his side.  I was thankful for the truck driver in that Kramer used up that ball of energy BEFORE I got on him! He lunged for about 20 mins and then I rode him for aprox 40.  He was much more consistent in maintaining frame at the trot; which has been a goal of mine.  We ended the ride on a positive note.

It was warm enough that Kramer worked up a little sweat and I must confess, so did I.
I hand grazed him for a good 40 mins so he could cool, plus it's good for him and then put him back into his stall in time for his evening feed.
Lovin' the 1/2 flake of alfalfa on top of his regular hay.  If he were a woman, he wouldn't like this shot; it makes him look fat!
Enjoyed our session!  Oh! and Kramer's other attribute besides his abundant tail?  That would be his amazing natural gaits.  He's a true Hot N Blazing.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoying your recent successes from a distance!! His tail looks great, but more important, you are working hard and seeing the fruits of your labor! Plus, you don't look sick in the last picture, so that's good! :)

    ReplyDelete