Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Gauntlet

Yes, Kramer defintely threw down the gauntlet today and I responded the best I knew how.  After he was lunged for 20 mins and then ridden for another 30mins; he decided that when "molly" the little jack russell barked that he, Kramer should respond by several enthusiastic crow hops.  Of course, I'm riding in the english saddle...again!  This was unacceptable behavior for a well warmed up 6 yr old horse who has heard Molly bark many times.  I reacted by pulling his head around to the left to my knee while keeping him trotting in a very tight circle-then we did the same to the right-then we did it both ways again.  I then took him out on the rail at a big posting trot and we did this several times around eventually taking up the canter both ways, circles, etc.  I forgot to mention, that before the barking/bucking incident Kramer reared with me.  Yes, a full rear when I asked him to move out.  The above procedure was used that time too, only I was applying my eng. spur to his off side as we did our little circles.  Needless to say, Kramer fired up my evil side.  I felt like I dealth with both of his nonsense reactions fairly & firmly.  Our ride lasted longer than the usual 45 mins.  By the end, he got the point & only thought about reacting the next time Molly started barking.  Before I dismounted I had him trotting a fabulous trot to which Martha even remarked how pretty it was "too bad you had to ride him 45 minutes to get it"!  Actually, it was over an hour,lol!  He was brushed and hand-grazed a good 35 mins afterwards.  No hard feelings on my part...unless he does the same thing tomorrow!


Not sure if he's falling asleep or closing his eye when the camera's flash went off!

No comments:

Post a Comment