Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Looking back, moving forward

After returning home and finding Kramer still very gimpy behind even after 5 days of rest & bute.  Paul had the same thing going on with his horse, so we made an appt. with the vet for the next day (Tues. Nov.29th).  After some preliminary lameness exams which showed Kramer was a little sore in his hocks; Nelson (the vet)began examining Kramer's back.  He was sensitive along his back but extremely sore in the back area between the hips.  When Nelson pressed down there, Kramer actually bucked!

It was determined that Kramer needed to be injected in his hocks and back to relieve any inflamation and soreness.  Soooo after being given some tranq and thoroughly being scrubbed (that's what all those little white gauze pads are)and I mean THOROUGHLY scrubbed, he was then injected.  The back injection req'd an ultrasound to help Nelson guide the 10" long needle to the correct place in the back.
Kramer was to be given several days off and then I could start riding him again.
The reason for all of this?  He's not been getting enough warm-up time before being ridden in a demanding manner.  "Demanding" meaning rounded back, on the bit, using his hind legs to drive forward.  Thoroughbreds with their long muscles need more warm up time before intense riding sessions.....geez........an expensive lesson.
When I went out to see him Sunday, I expected him to be moving free and he looked pretty much like before he was injected when I longed him.  The more he longed, the better he got but that's not saying much.  It made me angry (plus the fact that he pulled a front shoe again)& I'm sure that feeling transferred to Kramer as he was in the foulest mood I've seen since I've owned him.  I realized that after I got home and I promised myself to be more understanding & patient today when i go out.  We'll see what Kramer's attitude is today!

No comments:

Post a Comment